Is the landlord responsible to pay for damage to tenant’s car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the landlord responsible to pay for damage to tenant’s car?

My brand new car was parked in my designated area provided by landlord. Then, in 60 mph winds the landlord’s fence blew into the rear of my car damaging my tail light and scratching my car and bumper.

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is not the tenants' insurer: the landlord does not have to compensate them for damage to their personal property (including vehicles) unless the landlord was at fault (e.g. negligent) in causing the damage. But you write that 60 mph winds blew part of the fence into your car: the landlord is not responsible for 60 mph winds, or at fault if such strong winds tear off part of a fence. d on what you write, the landlord is not responsible for your damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption