Is it worth my time to take someone who hit me with no insurance, to small claims for damages?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it worth my time to take someone who hit me with no insurance, to small claims for damages?

I was rear ended in an auto accident and the person damaged my pop up trailer that I was towing. The person that hit me, did not have auto insurance.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Accident Law, Utah


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is likely not worth your time.  When you sue someone, even in small claims court, there are costs involved for you.  You have to consider the likelyhood that you could obtain financial recovery from someone if you were to prevail in a lawsuit.  Someone who does not carry auto insurance probably does not have the means to satisfy a judgment, meaning pay you, if you were able to get a judgment through a lawsuit.  If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own auto insurance, this is the best way for you to go.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption