Is it violating the divorce decree of ‘no overnight guests of the opposite sex’ if I live on the same property under a different roof?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it violating the divorce decree of ‘no overnight guests of the opposite sex’ if I live on the same property under a different roof?

My bf has 2 kids we are curious if legally his ex can do anything if I were to
move onto his property but live under a different roof. i.e. He the kids would
live in trailer while he is parenting I would live in an RV parked at the same

Asked on August 28, 2019 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It would likely be found to be a violation, since 1) you are both living on the same property and 2) since an RV is not a permanent home (not intended as, or in many areas even legal for, permanent residence), it will be seen as a subterfuge--i.e. a court would consider that you not really separately residing in the RV always, but are often spending nights with him. Even if in fact you were not, a court would almost certainly not believe that you that you not violating the decree. This is the sort of situation that looks like someone is trying to squeeze through a loophole, and the family courts will not condone that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption