Is it too late for me to claim my inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it too late for me to claim my inheritance?

My Father died a year ago. He left no
will. My sister as the only heir.. she
forgot I existed. So the house is in her
name now. Wasn’t georgia probate court
people supposed to locate me? She only
listed herself on some kind of work
sheet she had to file. Is that all they
go by?. I feel robbed

Asked on November 19, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please speak with an attorney in the area asap.  What you want to do is open the probate and make a motion to set it asdie.  If your Father left no Will then you BOTH inherit EQUALLY under intestacy in Kentucky.  What your sister did was improper.  Perhaps a letter from an attorney will open the lines of communication.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption