Is it possible to purchase a property with a mortgage for the amount of the back taxes owed?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to purchase a property with a mortgage for the amount of the back taxes owed?

The bank cancelled foreclosure proceedings and sent the amount owing to a collection agency. The trailer that was sitting on the property was burned to the ground by the previous renter. The mortgage was for the property only. We have removed the burned debris. Is it possible for someone to now purchase the land for the back taxes owing on the property?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes there is a possibility that the land where the mobile home was located if there is unpaid property taxes owed on it can be placed up for auction by the county tax assessor for the county and state where the land is located.

If that process happens, you will be given notice of the auction, notice with the time, place  and date of it. In most property tax sales the former owner still has the ability within a year to redeem the amount owed on the property that was subject to auction after the auction has happened and a new person goes on title. If the former property owner does redeem the property tax amount in that time period, the money then gets reimbursed to the person who bought the parcel and legal title is then transferred to the owner who initially lost the property in the tax sale.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption