Is it possible to set aside a divorce action and have the records sealed?

UPDATED: May 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to set aside a divorce action and have the records sealed?

I want to set aside a divorce decree and have the case sealed. Is that possible?

Asked on May 12, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Are you essentially back together with your spouse? If so, one or both of you can file a motion to have the case dismissed by the judge, the proceedings will be cancelled and you can simultaneously file a motion to seal the divorce proceedings and filings. I am not entirely sure if the motion to seal such records will be granted but you can at least try. Discuss the matter with your spouse and each of your divorce counsels and file a joint motion. If you are in a rush, see if an ex parte motion would be granted if you have some sort of notarized affidavit from the other to simply dismiss the case. Dismissals should be fairly quick; the waiting game may only involve the time scheduled for court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption