Is it possible to mainly reside in one state but have your primary legal residence in another state?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to mainly reside in one state but have your primary legal residence in another state?

How would this affect my taxes? If I get health or car/motorcycle insurance, can I base them out of my legal residence if it has lower fees?

Asked on March 3, 2013 under Business Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is no exact definition for your primary legal residence under the tax code.  Where you reside legally depends on the facts of every case.  There are a number of determinative factors the IRS looks at: voter registration, your driver's license address, etc.  If here as you say you "mainly" reside in one state then that would probably be considered your primary legal residence.  I would speak with a tax professional.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption