Is it possible to get my DUI probabtion overturned?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get my DUI probabtion overturned?

I would like to know if it is possible to have my DUI probation overturned. This was my first offense and was put on an unsupervised 3 year probation. I am trying to get a job that requires me to be off probation and I am really trying to find any sort of help that can get me to where I need to be.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Overturning is when a higher court tells a lower court they were wrong.  Expungement is when a conviction is wiped from the record.  California does not use the lingo expungement, but rather uses the term dismissal.  You can file two separate forms with the court and have a hearing at which a judge will determined if you are eligible to have the conviction dismissed.  However, even though a conviction was dismissed, you are still required to report your conviction on any employment application--however under federal law employers are not supposed to take dismissed convictions into account when hiring you.

If you are still on probation the court will probably not dismiss the charges.  Having all of your fines paid, alcohol school completed etc. will help your argument.

You have to file the CR-180 (

You have to file the CR-181 (

If you are still on Probation, you have to fill out the MC-031 (, describing why the dismissal is in the interests of justice even though you are still on probation.


If you are still on probation, I would meet with the probation department and request your probation be terminated early (must have paid all fees/restitution/fines).  That will be your best bet.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption