Is it possible to get a traffic tickerdismissed if my name is spelled wrong?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a traffic tickerdismissed if my name is spelled wrong?

One letter off in my first name.

Asked on November 9, 2010 under General Practice, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that you really have no hope of beating this ticket assuming that is that the officer got all of the other information correct - your address, driver's license number, as well as the coloer, year, make, model and tags from your car.  In an error on a ticket, the court will consider whether the mistake has some effect on your ability to defend the case (i.e. for example, the wrong statute being charged), or if it calls into question whether you were properly ticketed (i.e. cited for blocking a fire hydrant when there was none).  In a case, such as this, where there was no material error affecting your rights, a dismissal will not be granted. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption