Is it possible to get a name taken off of a deed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a name taken off of a deed?

I bought my house in 2006 and put my
then girlfriends name on the deed only,
we split up 2 years later and she hasn’t
been back since. I have since married
and we want to sell but she won’t take
her name off the deed, is there anything
I can do?

Asked on February 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You cannot force her to remove her name from the deed: if she is on the deed, she is just as much an owner as you, and has the same rights to the house (even if she has in fact moved out; residence or occupancy does not affect ownership). She is therefore legally entitled, as an owner, to a share of the equity or proceeds from selling the home.
All you can do is:
1) Work out a price to voluntarily buy her interest out, if she is willing to and there is some price that works for both of you.
2) Get her to agree to a voluntary sale, in which case she will get her share of the proceeds once the sale is accomplished.
3) If she won't agree to sell but you want to, you can bring a lawsuit or legal action (commonly called an action "for partition") to get a a court order compelling that the property be sold and the proceeds distributed between the owners.
We have to emphasize again that since she is an owner, she is entitled to a share of the property's value; she can voluntarily choose to give that up, but you cannot make her give it up--owners (i.e. people on the deed) get a share of the proceeds when property is sold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption