Is it possible to get a misdemeanor charge reduced if it is a first offense?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a misdemeanor charge reduced if it is a first offense?

I was pulled over for speeding and the officer smelled marijuana when he approached my vehicle. When he asked me about it I was honest and gave him the quarter ounce I had in my glovebox. He gave me citations for Speeding (4-9 mph over) and Misconduct – Controlled Substance 6. I know I can take a class for the speeding, but the officer told me there was a way I can get the other charges reduced.

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alaska


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is certainly legally permissible in New York.  The question is can your lawyer convince the DA that you are deserving of  a reduction in charges.  This is especially important in NY because if you are convicted of a crime in New York, there is no legal means to seal or expunge that record.  A criminal record is permanent in NY.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption