Is it possible to get 2 employment authorization documents if you have two applications pending with USCIS?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get 2 employment authorization documents if you have two applications pending with USCIS?

I applied for adjustment of status because I’m married to a USC. The i-130 was approved. The I-485 is pending, but can’t be approved because I am EWI. The I-765 I filed along with the I-485 was approved. In the mean time, I applied for a different visa that I am eligible for that also comes with an EAD. If that second visa is approved, do I get to keep the first EAD, or does that one become void due to the other?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I don't see how you would qualify to file I-485 or get the I-765 approved if you are EWI.  If you do have that by mistake (because it IS a mistake), the I-765 will be revoked as soon as the USCIS denies your I-485, which you were not eligible to file in the first place.  If you are EWI, as far as I know, there is no other visa for which you would qualify from within the US that would grant you work authorization either.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption