Is it possible to beat my dui case?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to beat my dui case?

I was recently arrested for dui. But I didn’t hit
anything or cause harm to anyone. I was simply on
the side of the road trying to replace a flat with my
spare then the police showed up and arrested me. I
was so closed to home too but they still impounded
my car and now there are fees left and right about it.

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

DUI is about driving under the influence--it doesn't require that you have an accident, damage anything, hurt anyone, or even commit any other traffic offense (e.g. driving carelessly, speeding, etc.). If you were over the legal limit to drive and you were driving--or in a position where you clearly *must* have been driving (e.g. on the road, changing a flat--you must have driven to get there)--you committed DUI even if you were being the safest driver in the world at the time. Only if you could show that they did not have the right to stop or test you, or that their test was inaccurate and wrong--and these things very rarely work; the police generally know what they are doing about DUI--could you beat the case. If you want to try, retain a lawyer with DUI experience, who knows how to challenge the stop, the tests, and the evidence; be advised you could spend easily $1,500 - $7,500 (depending on the attorney and how much work is involved) on the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption