is it possible to be emancipated without parents consent

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it possible to be emancipated without parents consent

My friend is looking for advice on emancipation. She is 15 and resides in colorado. She lives with her biological mother and a step father. She undergoes emotional and psychological abuse from the step father. The mother is completely obedient to him. She is unable to look for information herself because her parents have taken away the ability to.

Asked on March 30, 2016 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is possible for a child to be emancipated without parental consent... however, courts do tend to be concerned about leaving a child without appropriate support. 
If your friend is being subject to abuse, she can file a petition on her own if she can find a legal services program in your area to assist with the petition.
In the mean time, there is the matter that your friend may be suffering from serious emotional abuse.  If your friend is in a bad situation, then someone needs to call child protective services and get her assistance now, versus later.  If her biological father is still around, she may want to reach out to him and have him assist her in getting out of this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption