Is it possible for me to get alimony?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible for me to get alimony?

My wife and I are divorcing after a year and a half of marriage. She was the sole provider. No kids or property. We moved locations for her career from Florida to Texas. I shut down a business I owned in Florida to make this move possible. I kept up with all chores around the rental house to include cleaning, yard maintenance, cooking, caring for our dogs and repairs.

Asked on August 7, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

For a definitive answer, consult with a family or divorce law attorney who can review the specifics of your situation and marriage in detail, since every such case is decided on its own unique facts. That said, the breadwinning spouse--the one who provided most or all support to the couple or family--will generally be required to pay spousal support or alimony to the spouse who was supported, especialy if the non-working spouse left work at the request of or for the benefit of the breadwinning spouse. Because of how short the marriage was, it's possible the support will only be temporary (for a few years). You are also entitled to a share of the marital property (assets and money acquired during marriage).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption