Is it possible for a minor to get married without both parents’ consent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible for a minor to get married without both parents’ consent?

I’m 16 years old and my father is in the hospital incompetent to sign my marriage paper. I called the county clerk’s office and they said that they have no idea either. What could I do in

this situation? I need to get married but I only have my mother’s consent.

Asked on May 11, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your parents are not divorced, then your mom can consent for you to be married. 
If your parents are divorced, then that right will be set out in their final decree of divorce.  If the final order gives that right to both of your parents, then eithe parent can consent to marriage.  If the final order only gives that right to your father, then only your father can consent.  Similarly, if the final order only gives that right to your mother, then only she can consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption