Is it okay to be overworked and 15 hours cut from your check?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it okay to be overworked and 15 hours cut from your check?

My boss constantly schedules me to work twice within a 24 hour period. They schedule me overnight and expect me to be back to work by 1 not thinking about my commute there. My last 2 checks I have received were cut by 12 hours. What should I do if they are threatening to fire me?

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your hours are guaranteed, your company can set your schedule as it sees fit. This is known as "at will" employment. Your only protection is if this treatment violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, it must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination (which you did not indicate to be the case). As for cutting your wages, every employee is entitled to be compensated for all time worked. If you are not being paid as you should be, you can either sue your employer in small claims court and/or file a wage claim with your state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption