Is it OK to check no on job applications with a nolle prosequi case history?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it OK to check no on job applications with a nolle prosequi case history?

I am currently applying for jobs and I was arrested for felony grand theft but completed a PTI program and the charges were nolle prosequi. I have also had the case sealed. So am I correct in answering “NO” when answering these types of questions when applying of a job: have you ever been convicted of a crime, had adjudication withheld, nolo contendere, or served probation on a felony. However, if the question states have you been arrested I would answer “YES”.

Asked on July 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the question for the job application asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony then your answer would be "no" since the charge that you have written about was dismissed. If the question was if you were arrested for such a crime then your answer would need to be "yes".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption