is it ok to be engaged once you have been seperated from your ex husband for more then 3 years?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it ok to be engaged once you have been seperated from your ex husband for more then 3 years?

I was married for 2 yrs and now I been seperated for 2 yrs. I have filed for
divorce and waiting for my finalization on my divorce. I am engaged to be
married again. Has enough time gone buy for me to be able to be engaged
again? Keep in mind I haven’t lived in the same home with my ex since 2014

Asked on November 2, 2016 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Being "engaged" is not a legal relationship; it has no legal effect or status. So a person still married to person A can also be engaged to person B. Bear in mind that spousal behavior is often taken into account in divorces; it is not impossible that if your divorce is not yet final, that it could have an impact on the divorce's terms. So legally, you be engaged now; practically, you are probably better off waiting, or at least keeping it very quiet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption