Is it legal to use an alias for a fashion blogg?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to use an alias for a fashion blogg?

Is there any legal documents that need to be filed? What if the name you choose is actually the name of others? For instance my true birth name is Jane Thomas but I’d like to change it and use Jane Smith as an alias. Yet when Google there are 25 other Jane Smiths. Is it still legal to use Jane Smith as an alias?

Asked on August 16, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Any person may write, blog, etc. under any name he or she chooses, and there is nothing that you must file out or file to do--just use your chosen name. You can use a name used by others or which is the name of other people, but just make sure that you do not in other ways confuse yourself with them--e.g. don't use a picture that could be mistaken for one of them, use any of their biographical or identifying information, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption