Is it legal to suspend me from job for no reason?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to suspend me from job for no reason?

I was only told an investigation would take place but no details of how I was involved or why I needed to be placed outside of work. Then 3 weeks later, I contacted employer to ask when I could return but still no reason as to why I was suspended.

Asked on March 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First of all, unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that states otherwise, you can be suspended (even terminated) for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. This is called "at will" employment. Basically, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. If your susension goes in indefinitely with no word from your employer, you may be able to claim "constructive termination", in which you would be eligkible to collect unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption