Is it legal to record a conversation without informing the other party?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to record a conversation without informing the other party?

In some telephone conversations, a business party will inform the customer that,

Asked on November 6, 2016 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In your state, as well as in other "all party consent" states (often inaccurately called "two party consent" states; however it's not merely that "two parties" to the conversation must consent to the recording, but *all* parties to it must consent), you have to get consent from everyone in the conversation for every or each recording; the onus is on the person recording to get consent for his/her recording. So you'd have to let the business know that you are recording, too, which gives them the chance to disconnect if they don't want you recording (and if the don't disconnect but continue with the conversation after having been warned you are recording it, that constitutes consent to the recording).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption