is it legal to plead guilty to a felony in a city court

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it legal to plead guilty to a felony in a city court

i was charged with a assault 2nd and obstruting gov amin in 1979 i pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in city court but 30 years later while trying to get a gun permit it comes back that i pleaded guilty to 2nd assault in a city court tryed to clear it with the city clerk but they say there not much they can do my dispostion states pleaded guilty to assault charge and i paid a 250.00 fine thats it please advise

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

City Courts do have jurisdiction over some felonies and if you indeed did plead guilty to a felony back then there is nothing you can do about that. However, if you really want to get your pistol license, you can apply to the court for Relief from Civil Disabilities. This is a procedure which in essence expunges the felony for a certain purpose allowing you to get certain relief, in your case the license. It is an application filed usually in the court in which you were convicted. You can argue that the conviction was over 30 years ago was aberrational and that you have been a model citizen ever since. You most likely will get it after all these years

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption