Is it legal to own an insurance policy on an ex spouse if there is no alimony or child support involved?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to own an insurance policy on an ex spouse if there is no alimony or child support involved?

an ex-wife owns an insurance policy and want ex-husband to sign it so she can borrow money against it. There was no alimony

Asked on October 14, 2017 under Insurance Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In order to own a policy on the life on another you need to have an "insurable interest" in their life.  If you are not paying any support - child or otherwise - then your EX-wife has no insurable interest and can not have a policy on your life.  Understand that the policy would be in effect to cover something that she was awarded in the settlement to protect that "asset" for her in the event of your death.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption