Isit legal to ostracize a person who will not apologize to the boss?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Isit legal to ostracize a person who will not apologize to the boss?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal to ostracize someone who won't apologize to the boss.

1) In more general terms--beyond those applying purely to the workplace--anyone can ostracize anyone else. The law does not require one person to talk to or even acknowledge another.

2) In addition, specifically in terms of work, unless you have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will may be terminated, suspended, or disciplined--including by being ostracized--at any time, for any reason. And even if you have an employment contract, it only protects you as to the exact or specific terms of the contract, so it would have to be a very specifically written contract to prevent someone from being ostracized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption