Is it legal to make someone do both shifts paperwork in 8 hours?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to make someone do both shifts paperwork in 8 hours?

For the past 3 or 4 years, I have had to do data entry for both shifts in my 7:00 am to 3:30 pm 1st shift position. About 8 months ago, they added more people to my workload. I have told my boss that I feel overwhelmed and have a hard time keeping up. I do not have back up. I get behind because paperwork is not done directly half the time; I work at a place where people have disabilities. Realistically, it would take 12 hours to complete a day’s worth of work without getting behind. We work under contract. When it renewed they didn’t add a second shift data entry clerk even though I begged them to get at least someone part-time. Also, I am making the same amount that the other data entry clerks are doing they have 3 at our other location who get to split the days work up among the 3 of them. Since I am doing 2 shifts worth of work, shouldn’t I be paid more since I am doing the work of 2 people?

Asked on February 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless your treatment has to do with some form of legally actionable discrimination or breaches the terms of an employment contract/union agreement, you have no claim. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. If your workload is unacceptable to you, you can complain and refuse to do it but risk termination, or you can quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption