Is it legal to make and sell electronic music using game music from another game?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to make and sell electronic music using game music from another game?

A friend and I have started trying our hand at making electronic music, much of it using songs and sound effects from the games on the original Nintendo. Is it legal for us to continue to do so? If so, can we sell CD’s with our music?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Business Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Humm.  Even though I am sure that you altered the music, I would hesitate to tell you to continue and to try and sell the music on CD's.  The music from the games - like the games themselves - are copyrighted.  And I am sure that the owners of the copyright have the resources necessary to make sure that their ownership is not infringed on in any way what so ever, especially in a situation that could potentially be profit making for some one else (you).  Not that you have the hang of it why don't you try coming up with an original combination of notes and see what you can do with that?  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption