Is it legal to evict my daughter and granddaughter from my home?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to evict my daughter and granddaughter from my home?

My 23 year old daughter and her 3 year old granddaughter have been living in my home since my daughter was pregnant. My daughter works but refuses to help with any expenses in the house and is always screaming at me regarding my home. She has had her boyfriend living with her and now he has brought his 2 year old son into the home also. I have asked her to leave but she refuses. Is is possible to evict to evict her?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is absolutely possible to evict your adult daughter. Since she does not pay rent she is not a "tenant" but rather a "licensee" (i.e. long term guest). Accordingly you can serve her with a notice to quit the premises (it can be for a little as 3 days or up to 30 days depending on the jurisdiction). After that, if she remains beyond the date specified for her to leave, you can file an eviction lawsuit in court (called an "unlawful detainer"). Once the judge issue an order for her to vacate, if she refuses you can have the sheriff come and forcibly remove her if necessary.

Since evicitons require following strict procedures, you really should consult with an attorney in your area. Pick one that specializes in landlord-tenant cases.

Note: In the meantime do not attempt any self-help measures such as removing her belonging's or changing the locks. You can find yourself in legal trouble if you do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption