Is it legal for the cop to issue a ticket without pulling the person over?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for the cop to issue a ticket without pulling the person over?

I was driving one night around 2 in the morning. Then noticed I was being follow by a

police officer. So I pulled into a parking lot. The cop then got very close to my car and asked me how old I was. I told him 17. He then asked for my driver’s licenses which I gave him. I was then given a ticket for driving past curfew. I’m just wondering since this was a traffic ticket but I was never actually pulled over or even turned on his lights, is he allowed to ticket me with this?

Asked on October 18, 2016 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he is allowed to ticket you. There is no requirement whatsoever in the law that a police officer must turn on his lights and/or siren, or "pull over" (i.e. cause to stop) the driver of the car he is ticketing. The ticket is valid (at least as far as this issue is concerned).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption