Is it legal for someone who is 17 to have sexual relations with someone who is 20 or would this fall under corruption of a minor?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for someone who is 17 to have sexual relations with someone who is 20 or would this fall under corruption of a minor?

The age of consent is in PA is 16, 1 party is 17; the other party is 20. Does the age of consent apply here or only to those that are both in the age of 16 up until 18? I know it would not be rape if consensual, but would you still be guilty of corruption of a minor?  

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Even if the age of consent is 16, the County or State has a right to prosecute the adult party to the relationship if the other party is aminor, regardless of the consent of the minor.  Generally, minora are not permitted to legally "consent" to things until they are 18 years old.  You have seen many times on TV cases where adults in relationships with minors are prosecuted regardless of the consent of the parties involved.  There is a presumption that the adult unduly influenced the minor in some way.  So I would seriously think about what is going on with you and the consequences that could result from the relationship.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption