Is it legal for someone to film a minor in public without consent?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for someone to film a minor in public without consent?

Someone filmed me while I was walking on the street and I
told him to stop and he continued to keep driving back
around to keep filming me. I felt harassed so I went up to
his car and hit him. Would that be considered self defense?
And can he get in trouble for filming me?

Asked on December 27, 2018 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) There is no blanket prohibition against filiming any person on the street so long as you do not use their image for commercial purposes (e.g. to make money) or you don't film them in a pornographic or indecent way (e.g. no "upskirt" videos), so his filming you, while creepy and inappropriate, was most likely legal. 
2) Hitting him was NOT self defense: it is only self defense if you are protecting yourself or another from imminent (immediate) physical harm or assault. Therefore, since you were not doing that, you committed assault and could be charged with a criminal act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption