Is it legal for my manager to ask me to pay for receiving fake money?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my manager to ask me to pay for receiving fake money?

One Sunday night, a family came to our store and ordered. I was the
one who served them as a cashier. They paid me 100 bill that I did
not know was fake. My manager is now asking me to pay 100 in exchange
for my mistake, since it’s not legally possible to take it out on my
paycheck. On my defense, we were never trained to spot fake bills and
I did not intend to do it on purpose. Is it legal for them to take
money from me?

Asked on August 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While seemingly unfair, it is legal. That is unless you have protection against this action under the terms of a union agreement or employment contract. Otherwise, you are an "at will" worker which means that a business can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent any form of legally actionable discrimination). This includes having an employee cover a cash drawer shortage due to inadvertenly accepting counterfeit money. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption