Isit legal for my landlady for her to enter my property when I am not home and inspect it?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Isit legal for my landlady for her to enter my property when I am not home and inspect it?

She had my daughter’s grandma let her in, who is no relation to me and did not have permission from me to let her in. She does not do this to the other tenants.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord must first request entry into a rental within a reasonable stated time period. Typically 24 hours notice to the tenant is uniformally deemed reasonable notice.

The only exception as to when a landlord does not need to give notice to the tenant for the need to enter into the rental is when there is some sort of an emergency situation warranting entry. Examples would be a fire to the rental, a call for help, the failure of the tenant to have been seen for a long period of time and the like. From what you have written, the landlady did get some person to allow her entry even though you did not give the permission.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption