Is it legal for my employer to deduct money from my paycheck for parking violations?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my employer to deduct money from my paycheck for parking violations?

I work for a telecommunications company based in Pennsylvania.
I handle all the work in the New York area.
I received parking violations in NYC in a company provided vehicle while I was at
Can my employer deduct funds from my paycheck to get reimbursed for these parking

Asked on September 18, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They can only deduct from your paycheck with your consent or agreement, either given explicitly or which could be found in the employee handbook IF there is an employee handbook indicating they will do this and you received a copy of the handbook (so that you continuing to work there after receiving notice of the policy could be taken as your agreement to the policy). Without your demonstrable consent in one way or another, they can't deduct--though they could elect to terminate you if you cost them money (e.g. violations they had to pay) and refuse to pay them back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption