Is it legal for my employer not to provide me a way to get my check?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my employer not to provide me a way to get my check?

My work is closed Thursday and Friday due to the holidays. My payday is on Friday
so my employer said they will be handing out checks Wednesday today. I went to
get my check and they said they havent gotten them and arent sure when they will.
I asked if they will have someone here to hand them out Friday and they said no.
Is this legal? I wont be able to get my paycheck until Monday.

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While they should have made arrangements for you to get the check (such as giving them out early), there is nothing you can do: long before you could have a complaint to the labor department or a lawsuit come to fruition, you would have been paid, rendering the matter moot. Once you get the money, there is no more case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption