Is it legal for my employer to give me a pay cut without notice?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my employer to give me a pay cut without notice?

I was hired onto my job with a set pay. I worked 3 months and received that pay. On the fourth month my employer asked me to transfer 50 miles away. I agreed. After I moved and received my next check I found out that he took $1.50 an hour away from my original pay. When I asked about the pay cut he said that there was a pay difference between the 2 jobs. I was never informed of this. Is it true that I should have written notice?

Asked on August 20, 2011 Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most states require written notice from an employer to an employee of any pay reduction with a specified time period given for the pay reduction to become effective. For your employer to hire you at a set rate of pay for a certain scope of work, then request you to transfer fifty miles away, which you agreed resulting in the move and then to find out you are receiving $1.50 less per hour is not right.

You relied to your detriment for a $1.50 per hour pay reduction and were not advised about this ahead of time. You were required to have received written notice before all of this happened. You should go to the nearest labor department and speak with one of its representatives about what has happened and a possible complaint against your employer.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption