Is it legal for my company to make me sign a paper prohibiting me from dating customers but not have co-workers sign it?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my company to make me sign a paper prohibiting me from dating customers but not have co-workers sign it?

I work at a casino and they made me sign a paper saying I was not allowed to date customers. I am the only one they made do this. Is this legal?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact of the matter is that employees do not have to be treated equally. It is perfectly permissable to treat one employee differently than the others. That is as long as such treatment does not violate company policy or a union/employment contract. Also, if differing treatment is the result of discrimination, that would be illegal. So for example, if you have been given less favorable treatment due to your status in a legally protected class, that's against the law. Membership in such a class is based on: race, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, etc. However you gave no indication of this to be the case.

Bottom line, there can be discrimination in the workplace so long as it is not legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption