Is it legal for homeowner insurance company to ask for money being paid to me for subrogation payments?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for homeowner insurance company to ask for money being paid to me for subrogation payments?

My home was invaded and occupied while I was on vacation. Much of the interior of the house and furniture was destroyed. The insurance company paid for the damages. The parties involved were taken into custody and were ordered to pay me restitution. Does that money belong to me or does it belong to the insurance company? The insurance company states that after deducting my deductible from the payments the money belongs to them. Is that true? Am I supposed to send the money to the insurance company?

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Insurance Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

How horrible for you.  Here is the thing: you are not entitled to be paid twice for the same claim.  The insurance company has a right to go after the people who did this but then they do not have to pay twice: you and the insurance company.  So yes, take the deductible out and then give them the rest.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption