Is it legal for an employer to deduct money from my paycheck because of a no call/no show?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer to deduct money from my paycheck because of a no call/no show?

Due to unforseen events, I had to quit my job. I did a no call no show. I just picked up my check today to find on the check stub that they had taken out $90 from my check because of a no show.

Asked on May 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They do not have to pay you for the day you were no call/no show--even if you are salaried (not hourly), since even a salaried employee does not have to be paid for an entire day they missed (unless they used PTO for the absence). So if you lost an amount of money equal to one day's pay, this is likely legal and proper--it's simply not being paid for the day you were not there.
If they took out more than amount equal to the day you did not call/show, that would be illegal: employers may not take money out of employee paychecks except by court order (e.g. court-ordered wage garnishment) or with employee consent/agreement. If they took out more than they could (i.e. more than just not paying you for the day you were out) you could sue them, such as in small claims court as your own attorney ("pro se") for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption