Is it legal for an employer that closed their business but is operating with a different business name, to not send me a W-2?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer that closed their business but is operating with a different business name, to not send me a W-2?

I was employed with a company that closed their previous Home Care business and opened a new home care, and received 1 W-2 for the new company name, however they haven’t sent me a W-2 for the old company and they owe me a W-2 for over 9k. I called the company that handles our check stubs and W-2’s today to try and get both of those sent to me, and the woman I spoke with said that she will not give me any information of mine as I’m not a registered user through the account with them. Can they do this – not give me my stubs or W-2 if I request them? Also, how do I go about getting them? I tried to contact the company already to see if they intended on sending them and they will not call me back. I know they have a little time but seeing as I already got the other W-2 last week, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t get another.

Asked on January 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it is the same business entity (same LLC or corporation) operating under the new name, then yes, they should provide the W-2. If they don't, however, the only way to try to force them to do so is to contact the IRS about the situation: the IRS can call the employer and tell them to send it. If you still don't get it in time, there is a way to file your taxes with out it, with a Form 4852 in which you estimate your wages and the withholding they took out.
If the LLC or corporation you worked for is closed/dissolved, it may be impossible to get a W-2, since there is no one there any more to generate it. Again, you can sue the Form 4852 method to file.
Here's a link to a helpful IRS webpage:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption