Is it legal for an employer to change your rate of pay to minimum wage for leaving job without 2 week notice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer to change your rate of pay to minimum wage for leaving job without 2 week notice?

I worked for a temporary agency, and I
found a better job. Unfortunately this
new job couldn’t wait for me to give a
2 week notice. Is it legal for them to
drop my rate of pay to minimum wage for
the remaining hours they owe me? This
happened in the state of Ohio.

Asked on October 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Wage rates can be reduced for hours not yet worked (absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary). That having been said, they cannot be retroactively lowered. Accordingly, as for any hours that you already worked, you should have been paid at your old rate. If you were not paid as you should have been, you can file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor or you can sue your employer is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption