Is it legal for an employer to forbid you from talking to an ex-employee?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an employer to forbid you from talking to an ex-employee?

My girlfriend was called in to her boss’s office. Her boss yelled at her for the better part of an hour and told her they were gonna sue her for talking to her friend who is an ex-employee. She was also told that she was lucky to be making so much money ($10 per hour) for her job. She is a web page designer with an associates degree. What actions can I take and is what they are saying at all true?

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

While unprofessional, your girlfriend's employer's action were also legal. In an at will work relationship an employer has great discretion in setting the terms of employment. It can hire/fire, promote/demote, increase/decrease salary/hours, and impose just about whatever other conditions that is sees fit. This wouldinclude banning an employee from contacting an ex-employee. For your girlfriend's part she can either abide by this prohibition or quit.

The fact is that if she wants the keep her job, she may want to follow her employer's directive. otherwise she can be fired for this (or any other reason, even no reason at all). Of course this all presumes that she has no employment contact or union agreement prohibiting this action, or such a restriction is against existing company policy, or this treatment is due to some form of actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption