Is it legal for an 18 year old who still attends high school to move out of their parents house?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for an 18 year old who still attends high school to move out of their parents house?

What are their rights?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The age of majority in the state of Florida is 18  That means that you are considered to be an adult regardless of where you are in the school system.  At 18 your parents obligation to support you ends as well.  So it really works for and against you if you know what I mean.  There are many things for you to consider here.  One, is that you have a place to live that is safe and clean.  Two, that you have a means to support yourself (a job).  Three, that you have medical coverage with that job (so that you not become incumbent upon the state for medicaid, etc).  Also consider how this will effect you if you are applying to colleges.  Can you speak with an adult that you trust on the matter?  It may help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption