Is it legal for a teacher in a private school to treat a mediccaly fragile child?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a teacher in a private school to treat a mediccaly fragile child?

I am a certified teacher teaching in a private school that does not provide a nurse. Is it legal for me to treat a child that suffers from juvenile diabetes? I was told that it was my job to test and administer the correct medication all while watching my other students!

Asked on August 25, 2011 New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First, it is possibly not legal--it could potentially constitute the unauthorized practice of medicine.

Second, even if technically "legal," it is incredibly ill-advised and dangerous--you could find yourself liable for--

* any injuries or infections you cause

* injury or illness suffered because you took responsibility to test but missed something

* possibly for child sexual abuse of some kind, if the physical contact is taken to be improper

There is no circumstances under which you can safely do this. And note: if you are liable, your employer would be liable, too. You may wish to discuss the risk with them; and if they still insist, consult with an employment attorney about your rights and recourse. Under no circumstances administer medicine or medical tests to a child not your own. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption