Is it legal for a summons to be served by sticking it inthe front door of your home?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a summons to be served by sticking it inthe front door of your home?

I arrived home to find a court summons for my wife from a bill she had with her ex-husband. It was stuck in the front door. I thought that they had to give it to a breathing person of adult age. Also, is there anything that can be done about her ex not making his car payment and so they came and started to garnish her so I got a loan and payed a lower settlement with them. Problem its high interest. He wanted the jeep in the divorce and let it get taken away. Plus, he is supposed to carry health insurance and never has. We pay for it. Is there hope to get this loser to do what he is suppose to?

Asked on January 28, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First the summons.  Most states permit a summons and complaint to be served by substituted service - nail and mail as some states nickname it - if there have been previous attempts to serve personally or to an adult and they have failed.  So expect that you may be getting another in the mail.  As for the issues with the divorce settlement, that is a contract as between your wife and her ex.  If he is not living up to his end of the contract then she can sue him based upon the agreement.  Get together all your proffo and have her go and seek consultation from ana ttorney.  Do so soon.  You seem to have to constantly deal with these matters and you need them resolved once and for all.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption