Is it legal for a manger to drastically cut your hours because you hurt his feelings?

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a manger to drastically cut your hours because you hurt his feelings?

I complained to my manager about my general manager and he overheard me and got his feelings hurt. I only stated the facts and did not say anything personal or bad. He has now cut my hours from 40+ hours a week to 16 hours a week. Last schedule I was scheduled for 5 days at 40 hours for the week and this schedule I am only scheduled for 3 days. One day is a full 8 hour shift and the other 2 days are only 4 hour shifts. The schedule only has me working on days he is either off or not in the store. I have been there 4 years and have worked 40+ hours a week the entire time.

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately present this matter to the General Manager's boss and indicate that this a violation of your rights as an employee. Put everything in writing to protect yourself because be certain that your manager is not going to go to bat for you if it means she or he could lose her or his job. Talk to the district manager or regional manager and see if that could help. You may wish to explore your concerns through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and your own state's Department of Labor. Keep at it and start looking for a position elsewhere in case this turns into an ugly harassment or hostile work condition case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption