Is it legal for a landlord to post past due notices on your apartment door with the name amount due and other information showing to the public?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a landlord to post past due notices on your apartment door with the name amount due and other information showing to the public?

Recently a new apartment that I leased posted a past due demand for payment on my front door, although I paid all requested fees at the time of lease signing. No one told me that I owed any other monies. The notice was posted facing out so that anyone who passed by could read it. When I called the office they said it was an error and I didn’t owe any money. They told me posting it so everyone could see it was policy and a means of pressuring tenants to pay. Especially since it was done in error, I feel that this carries a certain level of defamation of character.

Asked on April 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the information posted on the rental that you have contains accurate information with respect to amount of money due with respect to the rental that you have, there is nothing improper or illegal based upon what you have written. In fact, many state statutes have provisions allowing (and even requiring) the posting of such information that you have written about on the door to the rental that you occupy.

Unfortunately in your situation the posting from what you have written was done in error. I understand that you are not happy about the error, but the difficulty with your question is that even though a wrong was committed, how were you damaged in terms of dollars and cents?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption