Is it legal for a judge to take a case to court where the charges were filed in the wrong district?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a judge to take a case to court where the charges were filed in the wrong district?

I have simple assault charges filed against me on the east side of the county. However they should’ve been filed on the west side.

Asked on March 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

With county courts, as long as they are filed within the county, there really should be no problem with which side the case is filed. If your state for some reason has docketing issues with its caseloads, it may be the reason the case was transferred from west to east side. The judge doesn't take a case to court but rather presides over what has been filed in his or her court.  So if the clerk of court has processed the case into what you deem the wrong district, it would have in a criminal matter been discovered already by either the prosecutor or clerk of court.  Each court has certain codes and if the prosecutor had to file in one court, your case would have already been transferred. More likely than not, just like in civil cases and state criminal cases, you can truly file in the court the prosecutor chooses.  This is part of the strategy of most litigators, including criminal prosecutors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption