Is it legal for a company to charge me for something after termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a company to charge me for something after termination?

I was recently terminated at my job with a cruise line. I believe that I was wrongfully terminated due to alcohol. However, I was not on duty at the time, so I should not have been terminated. Regardless, they sent me home and gave me a flight ticket back to my home town. Now, they are trying to take money directly from my account for the flight ticket. I was not notified that they would be charging me for the ticket it was quite expensive as it was last minute and I could have easily stayed with friends until the ticket prices were more

reasonable, and I believe I still would not have been notified about being charged for the ticket except that I followed up with the company as to why money was being removed from my account. Is this legal?

Asked on August 17, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they can not take the money from your account unless you agreed to let them do so. Moreover, they cannot even charge you for the ticket unless you agreed in advance (before they purchased it and gave it to you) that you would reimburse them for the ticket: if they simply bought the ticket and gave it to you before you agreed to pay for it, they made it a gift to you and are not entitled to reimbursement--you have to agree to pay for something, and they cannot make you pay by doing it for you without your consent. If they did take money from you when you had never agreed to pay for it, you could sue them for its return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption