Is it legal for a apartment leasing company to request or require the birth certificates of my children before we move in?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a apartment leasing company to request or require the birth certificates of my children before we move in?

They say it is to show that they are citizens.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would have to agree with you that this request sounds a bit on the odd side. First of all, your status herein the United States may be an issue for the apartment leasing company - and their approach on that concern could be seen as discriminatory - but the minor children's status should not be an issue at all.  Here is what I would do: ask the leasing company what is the basis of their request? If they state that it is their policy then ask what law that policy is based upon.  If something sounds fishy go and speak with someone on the matter.  If they are basing their selection of renters on an improper basis then they need to be stopped. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption